Thursday, December 18, 2014
Monday, December 8, 2014
living in Michigan has taught me a few things about having a solid beauty routine for the forever changing winter weather. Here in the Great Lakes State the weather can go from 55F and sunny, to 25F, snowing, with blustery winds overnight. Yes, it can be hard to keep up a beauty routine when you don't know what's going to come out of the sky next. But if you start with a solid beauty base, it isn't quite as bad.
- it's all about the base (bout the base, no treble). Seriously, having
- brighten it up. In the winter, even with well moisturized skin, everyone looks a little dull and washed out (that's what happens when you don't see the sun November-April). So, until we thaw out around mid-May, we have to fake it until we make it. The best way to achieve this is with a brightening/highlighting balm and a good blush. My favorite highlighter is Benefit Cosmetic's Watt's Up! cream-to-powder stick. I kid you not, it looks great on everyone. EVERYONE. As does Nars'
- lay it on me thick. The only thing worse than scraping an inch of ice off of your car's windshield is having to do with with chapped lips. Sometimes in winter it feels like you spend 90% of the 8 hours of daylight applying and reapplying lip balm. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have to keep some Burt's Bee in every coat pocket. If you layer it underneath a thick, humectant and wax based lipgloss, though, you'll have to reapply less. The perk? You'll brighten up your face with a warm color, and keep your lips free from being chapped.
here in the midwest, winter sucks regardless of where you lie within the Polar Vortex. At least though, you don't have to look like Mr. Winter sucked the life out of you with a few simple winter beauty survival tricks.
stay warm out there my friends.
Thursday, December 4, 2014
- they understand (body) karma. If you put good in, you'll get good out.
- they know how to greet the day. They put a special focus on the knowledge that how they start their day will help dictate how the rest of their day goes.
- they know how to manage stress. They know that a stressful day of work, a hellish day of school, and a flat tire could easily lead to taking it out on their significant other. They choose not to; they choose go to the gym, go for a run, or take a time out on their yoga mat.
- they put their bodies first. Because they know without their healthy and strong body, they wouldn't be able to do anything else.
- they know how to put in hard work...
- they know that, sometimes, we have to make sacrifices. Like all romantic relationships, a fit girl's relationship with her body and self comes with challenges. Sometimes it's forgoing an extra hour a sleep, so that they can wake up and make themselves a healthy, colorful lunch. Other times it's saying no to dessert, because today they just cant even with the gym. Regardless, they know that sometimes you have to sacrifice the little things to get to the bigger and better ones.
- they know that pain isn't just good, it's important. They know that after a good, hard workout, the pain they'll feel the next day comes from their body doing exactly what it's supposed to do: mend, strengthen, and grow.
- they are extraordinarily, unequivocally beautiful. Literally. From the inside, out.
stay healthy. stay fit. stay positive.